Why do we need grants?
The two most important things of any research project are idea and execution. The successful execution of the research project depends not only on the effort of the researcher but also on the available infrastructure to conduct the research. Many good ideas do not materialize into a good research project because of a lack of funding. so, we are preferring funding to have recognition overcome the economic crisis.
There are two types of funding,
- INTERNAL FUNDING
Internal Funding is supported by the university by their college committees and their staff members.
- EXTERNAL FUNDING
The other private organizations support researchers for the development by offering grants fully or partially.
SOME EXTERNAL FUNDING ORGANIZATIONS FOR RESEARCH PROJECTS IN MALAYSIA
1. CRDF RESEARCH GRANT
CRDF Global was originally named the U.S. Civilian Research and Development Foundation for the Independent States of the Former Soviet Union (CRDF). Global leader advancing security, health, and economic progress by mitigating threats and enhancing opportunities through science, innovation, and collaboration. Topics will be chosen by the grantees, and examples are listed below.
Research Fields applicable for applying grants
- Artificial Intelligence and
- Advanced Computing
last date for applying grant 30th July 2022. For more details, click here
2. VIBRANT SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Merck is a vibrant team of specialists in Healthcare, Life Science and Electronics. In 2022, they are offering a series of research grants to stimulate innovative research in challenging areas of future importance. Grants of up to €500,000 per year for up to 3 years are available in the areas as further specified below.
- Drug discovery – 3 grants comprising up to €500,000 /year for 3 years with the option of extension.
- AI for predictive diagnostics & therapeutic target discovery – grant comprising between $100,000 – $300,000 /year for 2 years with the option of extension
- Chemistry in the cloud – Rapid synthesis through automation – 1 grant comprising €100,000 /year for 3 years
- Innovation within green chemistry – 1 grant comprising €100,000 for 1 year with potential further collaboration
- Sustainability in healthcare R&D – 1 grant comprising €100,000 for 1 year
- Submission date deadline for applying is 31 August 2022. For more details, click here
3. NEWTON INTERNATIONAL FELLOWSHIPS
The Royal Society funds researchers at the postdoctoral level and above in the UK and overseas. Undergraduate, Masters and PhD students cannot apply for Royal Society funding.
- Private fellowships
They accept applications from all countries. Their partnerships with other funding bodies and institutions allow us to fund additional awards to applicants from specific partner countries. It is not possible to apply directly for one of these fellowships. Eligible candidates will be selected from the shortlisted Newton International Fellowship applications.
Last date for applying grants and fellowships 19th May 2022. For more details, click here
4. QSR EARLY CAREER RESEARCHER GRANT
The Grant will allow for US$25,000 in funding over two years, to an Early Career Researcher with a project that shows promise and contribution to knowledge.
Projects can range across the breadth of the social science disciplines, health research, humanities and interdisciplinary research fields. Last date for applying grants proposal 30th November 2022. For more details, click here
5. JAPAN SOCIETY FOR THE PROMOTION OF SCIENCE – GRANT-IN-AID FOR SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH
Scientific Research Grants Project (Academic Research Grant Fund Grant / Science Research Grant) covers all fields from humanities, social sciences to natural sciences, from basics to applications (researchers’ freedom) This is a “competitive research fund” for the purpose of significantly developing the research based on such ideas), and after a peer-reviewed examination, it will support original and pioneering research.
The research fields included are
Humanities Social Sciences, Mathematical and Physical Sciences Chemistry Engineering Sciences Informatics Biological Sciences Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Medical, Dental and Pharmaceutical Science.
Research Grant values depend on the research Project. Grant proposal can be applied throughout the year. For more details, click here
6. THE WORLD ACADEMY SCIENCE FOR THE ADVANCEMENT IN SCIENCE (TWAS)
TWAS research grants are awarded to both individual scientists and research groups. TWAS research grants fund several programmes that support:
- Researchers in developing countries, allowing them to purchase specialized equipment and consumable supplies, and
- Support Master of Science students.
Deadlines and events, click here
For various research grant programs, click here
7. INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION FOR SCIENCE
IFS Support excellent individual and collaborative research, to build the capability of early-career scientists in the developing world, and to contribute innovation to the sustainable management of biological, water and energy resources
The three thematic research clusters of:
- Biological Resources in Terrestrial Systems
- Water and Aquatic Resources, and
- Food Security, Dietary Diversity and Healthy Livelihoods
There is no deadline for applying grant proposal. we can apply throughout the year for grant proposal. For more details, click here
8. Malaysia Greater Research Network System
MyGRANTS (Malaysia Greater Research Network System) is designed and developed to assist researchers in research-related matters and activities. Among the services provided through MyGRANTS to all researchers, particularly those under the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE).
MyGRANTS has been designed, developed, and implemented as a fully web-based solution that would effectively bring all those involved in research management and operations. It aims to help develop a critical mass of research by offering a conducive research ecosystem.
Fileds focused on research are,
- Neural network, fuzzy logic, and genetic algorithm.
- Machine learning and auto-generated services of artifacts software
- Artefact-Actor-Network (AAN)
SOME OF THE SCHEMES OFFERED BY MYGRANTS
- Fundamental research grant scheme Grant- FRGS
- Prototype development research grant scheme-PRGS
- The trans disciplinary research grant scheme-TRGS
- Long term research grant scheme-LRGS
9. Academic of science Malaysia fund (MARP)
The Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI) government of Malaysia is providing grants for the academic of science in Malaysia.
The fields are,
- Energy Security
- Environment And Climate Change
- Food Security
- Medical And Healthcare
- Transport And Urbanisation
- Water Security
Interested people can apply to get this funding until May 8th , 2022. For more details, Click here
10. Malaysian Toray science foundation
The MTSF grants approximately RM600,000 for research for a year, derived from interest income and contributions from Toray Science Foundation, Japan, and Toray subsidiaries in Malaysia.
The date for applying for grants starts from 1st Jan – 31 May 2022.
Research fields are natural sciences, including the environment, but excluding clinical medicine and mathematics. For more about this funding, Click here
11. Asean-India Research Training Fellowship (AI-RTF)
The ASEAN European Academic University Network (ASEA-UNINET) is a network of universities, consisting of European and South-East Asian universities with the goal of promoting the continuous internationalization of education and research. They are providing scholarships for Ph.D. students.
ASEA-UNINET research projects
- Natural sciences,
- Social sciences
- and Human Sciences
Scholarship and awards are,
- Ernst Mach Grant – ASEA-UNINET
- Ernst Mach Follow-up Grant (EZA)
- Funding within ASEA-UNINET Projects
- Bernd Rode Award
The last date for applying scholarship is 30th Sept 2022. For more details, Click here
12. Wellcome trust
The Wellcome Trust is an independent, global charitable foundation. They promote good research practice and work towards a more diverse research culture. The funding time period for Ph.D. is one year. Research fields include,
- biomedical science
- population health and humanities
- social science.
For more details on these funding opportunities, Click here